Release Date: 09.29.2014 | Location: All Metro Atlanta | Organization: TEDxPeachtree 2014
TEDxPeachtree Announces 2014 Speakers
Join us October 17th at the Buckhead Theatre for a day of Illumination, art and networking
ATLANTA, September 25, 2014 — The TEDxPeachtree 2014 team is pleased to announce its 2014 speaker roster. In its sixth year, TEDxPeachtree 2014 will once again combine dynamic speakers with networking, conversation, art and experiential activities.
From origami in space to effortless rehab for spinal cord injury, the 2014 edition of TEDxPeachtree promises a day of exploration, variety and quality networking. Drawing from some of Georgia’s brightest minds and beyond, this year’s speaker line-up will bring a myriad of perspectives to light and enlightenment in the fields of engineering, education, space, culture, medicine, the arts and beyond. Each speaker will draw inspiration from the 2014 theme Illuminate! and in talks lasting 18 minutes of less.
2014 Presenter Roster
- Shannon Zirbel –NASA Space Technology Research Fellow
- Erico Mattos – scientist-entrepreneur, co-founder of PhytoSynthetix
- Adam Marcus – biologist and associate professor at Emory University Winship Cancer Institute
- Chantelle Rytter – Atlanta based parade artist and creator of the Atlanta Beltline Lantern Parade
- Ion Popion – artist, sculptor, painter working on design-build projects and historic architectural conservation
- Genna Duberstein – NASA multimedia producer working at the intersection of art and science
- HeaveN Beatbox – 2012 American Vice-Beatbox Champion
- Melody Moore Jackson – scientist, associate professor in the School of Interactive Computing at Georgia Tech and director of the FIDO project (Facilitating Interactions for Dogs with Occupations)
- Thad Starner – inventor, technical lead for Google Glass and professor at Georgia Tech’s School of Interactive Computing
- Keith McGreggor – cognitive scientist, director of Georgia Tech’s Venture Lab and lead instructor of the National Science Foundation’s Innovation Corps
- Derek Fridman – experience designer and creative director at HUGE
- Abby Norman – teacher and blogger focusing on the intersection of faith and everyday life
Date: October 17, 2014
Time: 9 AM – 4 PM
Where: Buckhead Theatre, 3110 Roswell Road, Atlanta, GA 30305
To learn more about the speakers above, visit www.tedxpeachtree.com. Purchase tickets to the October 17th event at http://tedxpeachtree2014.eventbrite.com/
In the spirit of Ideas Worth Spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized.
TEDxPeachtree, a 501(c)3 organization, seeks to develop and share a TED-like experience on a regional level by bringing together inspirational leaders, innovators, artists and entertainers in metro Atlanta. To date, three TEDxPeachtree speakers have been featured on TED.com. TEDxPeachtree is a community effort led by an all-volunteer group of passionate individuals hailing from an eclectic mix of professions. For information about the conference, please visit www.tedxpeachtree.com.
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California almost 30 years ago, TED has grown to support its mission with multiple initiatives. The two annual TED Conferences invite the world's leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes on a diverse mix of topics. Many of these talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The TED2014 Conference takes place in Vancouver, British Columbia, along with the TEDActive simulcast in neighboring Whistler. TEDGlobal 2014 will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TED Talks are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; and TEDBooks, short e-books on powerful ideas. TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world get help translating their wishes into action; TEDx, which supports individuals or groups in hosting local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
Follow TED on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TEDTalks, or on Facebook at http:// www.facebook.com/TED
For information about TED's upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/ registration.
Contact Name: Catherine Smith
Phone: (404) 509-7145